2/25/2008

more experimentation







































so here are a couple of things ive been working on as well. i know these and the other photo are very unusual for me to do. I have always been so rigid in my production of a "straight photo", but ive been wondering about the permanence of images and society. there are so many good and great images out there that its hard for me to even remember who my favorite photographers are, much less the work they make unless i happen upon them again, then I'm like" oh yeah! i love this photograph". I think that I am this way (and i bet you are too) because we have to kind of continue to seek more and better visual communication. We HAVE to if we want to keep up with with the rate of production that's going on. So for some reason, this thought has me drawn to creating a more interior example of the nature I've photographed. I think I'm trying to slow down the photographic process by manipulating the image itself and the intent of communication. I'm trying to synthesize the window and mirror in hopes of making a more clear representation of how I see nature, art, and experience existing as one thing.

8 comments:

Noemi Armstrong said...

I had nightmares of nuclear war as a child. Your images remind me of those dreams. The colors are so vibrant, like a surge of it before the ultimate destruction.

viridiana said...

I like so much this pictures, It's terrific! I would like to know how doing the same...

Derek William McGregor said...

I really like where these are going, especially the bottom one. The only thing that I think would work better is if you had some without the sky because the blown-out skies don't seem to fit in the image to me. They seem to make it a bit too digitally worked, whereas the landscapes seem so sharp and detailed (and obviously digitally enhanced of course, but everything fits together). They remind me of some sort of Japanese landscape drawing...not sure why.

Pet Imagery said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pet Imagery said...

I'm really enjoying the movement and energy of these images--which is interesting because the subject matter is, well, dead.

They make me feel a little uneasy, but in a good way.

I'm curious to see how your digital process evolves. nice work jana!

Drew Henry Tolbert said...

My first thought is that the digital touch in these images is too opaque, and maybe distracting. It makes me want to see before and after, and even the digital process, but only to see how I would change it.
Computer stuff notwithstanding, I see something sublime and symbolic about the tree figures.

Drew Henry Tolbert said...

"...nature, art and experience... existing as one"

- I dig it.

zach eggleston said...

painterly and stylized and completely different and and and i'd say roll with this one for a while.